Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Sleep(less)....

Question: "Does Canon sleep thru the night yet?"

Virtually every parent I run into these days asks me one of this question (or some variation of it, anyway).

From what I hear, this is an American phenomenon, this apparent fixation on babies' sleep habits. I guess I don't know that for certain. But, what I do know, is that every time I hear this particular question, a very real sense of guilt and tension rise up inside of me. All of a sudden, I'm in middle school again: I'm comparing myself to every girl in my midst. I'm telling myself that I suck at this parenting thing. I'm convincing myself that every other mom knows the secret to ushering their kiddos (and themselves) toward REM bliss. And I'm left wondering what "they" know that I don't.

It's nonsense, I know.

Reality is: I don't suck. And there's no "magic answer" to the sleep issue (or any other issue in the parenting realm, for that matter). Reality is: Canon's sleep patterns (or lack thereof, these days) are unique to him, just like his personality is unique to him. And his smile. And the love he has for music. And his sweet, little toes.

I can't answer "yes" to the sleep question, because sometimes my little man needs my attention in the nighttime hours. But, I can say with absolute certainty that this parenting journey is already teaching me volumes - not only about how to "be a Mom", but about how to be comfortable in my skin as a Mom.

1 comment:

  1. Micah nursed in the middle of the night until he was almost a year old. Don't sweat it. Also the actual medical definition of "sleeping thru the night" as given to me by my pediatrician is: sleeping from midnight to 5am. Little different spin isn't it? Also even kids who sleep thru the night don't really. I consider my kids to be very good sleepers and it is still very very rare for a night to go by that they don't need me for something at least once. And even if THEY sleep thru YOU still don't. I don't know any moms who don't get up and check everyone at least once a night weather they call out or not. Okay, sorry, pardon my rant :-)

    ReplyDelete