Thursday, April 29, 2010

tradition...

There are many things from childhood that, as I look back, make me smile.

Brunch at the Union after church on Sundays.
Monkey bread.
White tissue paper on Santa gifts.
Morning greetings on birthdays.
Midnight service on Christmas Eve.
Cookies for Christmas.

And one of my favorites, May Day baskets.

I can't remember when this tradition started, but I can say that even today, I remember it as one of my favorite things. We'd roll colored construction paper into cone-shaped baskets, and then stuff them with Easter grass, goodies, and flowers clipped from our garden *mostly yellow daffodils, if memory serves*

Even more memorable than the making of these baskets, was the execution of their delivery. We'd wake up very early, before school. Kristo, Mom, and I would load the baskets in the car, and drive to the homes of our friends and loved ones. We'd place a basket at the front door of each home, ring the doorbell, and then RUN! And then, when all of the baskets were delivered, we'd celebrate the completion of our May Day fun at Ye Old Donut Shop.

Since leaving home for college, there have been years when I've put a basket together, and sent it to my mom, as a reminder of how much I loved that tradition. And yesterday, I put a basket in the mail. Except this year it wasn't just from me. This one was from me and my baby boy. What a joy it will be to carry family traditions forward, and to create ones of our own.

Happy May Day, all!



2 comments:

  1. Well there's a tradition I'm going to have to steal! And monkey bread is fabulous! We have it every Christmas morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun tradition and even sweeter that you and Canon are continuing it. Kristo said your mom started it, HOW NEAT! I thought it was a champaign thing, what a creative mama you have Sarah and Canon!

    ReplyDelete